How to Make your Frozen Yogurt Shop Attractive to Tourists
If you own a restaurant, it is no secret that tourists can bring you tons of business. According to Food Services of America, tourists account for half the sales of restaurants that average $25 or more on a ticket and 20 to 25 percent of restaurants that average less than $25 per ticket. Basically, tourists can mean everything to a business. Attracting tourists to your fro-yo shop is not just good business practices, it is practically essential knowing these numbers.
So what’s the best way to get tourists out from their hotel rooms and visiting your frozen yogurt store? Here are a few suggestions to make your frozen yogurt store a destination that tourists want to visit and tell their friends and family back home about:
- Be easy to find. This may go without saying, but make your business visible both physically and online. If your shop doesn’t have a big sign or banner saying who you are and what you sell, then you may lose a lot of tourism business (or really, just customers in general). To attract tourists it is also crucial to have an online presence. Make an effort to have your fro-yo store to be as visible as possible on search engines by using effective search engine optimization (or SEO) tactics. Be sure to also manage your online presence on sites such as Yelp, Google, TripAdvisor, Yahoo Local, and other similar sites. Respond to any negative customer comments as well as the glowing reviews.
- Have something uniquely local. When tourists visit different cities they are looking for a unique experience from what they have at home. If your town is famous for its local chocolate, be sure to have that as a topping. If your town has its own local soda company (like Seattle has Jones, for example) then be sure to stock that product for your customers. Have local magazines and even brochures so your customers can get good suggestions of where to hang out.
- Have WiFi for your guests. If you set it up, they will come. Tourists are always looking for a good local hangout with WiFi so that they can map out their next excursion or so they can update social media (bonus points if you have a place on Facebook where they can check in)
- Be helpful to tourists. Train your staff to be knowledgeable about the area and to give helpful suggestions to visitors about where to go eat dinner, where to find museums, and what the best activities for kids are in your town. Your frozen yogurt store is part of the local economy, so it’s good to help support it.
- Talk to hotels and other lodging areas about your business. If you really want to make an impression on visitors, it would be a great idea to get help from your local concierges. Invite them to try out your frozen yogurt store and they might feel so inclined to tell your guests about a sweet dessert spot in town.
There are several different ways to get tourists into your door, but this list can get you started on making your frozen yogurt store the dessert destination in your town.