Top Five Reasons to Choose Frozen Yogurt Over Ice Cream!!
Frozen yogurt shops are popping up all over the place in shopping centers, neighborhoods, and malls. Everyone loves frozen yogurt, sure, but when faced with the choice of frozen yogurt vs. ice cream, why should you choose frozen yogurt? Well, as it turns out, there are quite a few reasons.
1. Frozen yogurt can serve as one of your daily servings of dairy. An adult should consume about three cups of dairy per day, according to the United States Department of Agriculture’s “Choose My Plate” site. The consumption of dairy is believed to lead to strong bone health and can often reduce the risk of osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and type II diabetes. As if being delicious weren’t enough of a reason to eat frozen yogurt, your bones will benefit from each serving of frozen yogurt that you consume.
2. Frozen yogurt has probiotics, which are micro-organisms that are believed to be good for your overall health. Probiotics in fro-yo can aid with digestion, can reduce allergy symptoms, help to fight obesity, among other health benefits, according to the website foodmatters.tv. There are several products and pills that contain probiotics, but none could possibly be as delicious as frozen yogurt.
3. Frozen yogurt toppings such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or other types of fruit can help you get some of your servings of fruit in for the day. Most Americans don’t get their recommended two cups of fruits per day, and what better way to get those servings in than with frozen yogurt? So the next time you go out for some frozen yogurt, don’t forget to add on plenty of fruit to make your treat a more balanced, nutritious snack.
4. You can choose exactly what’s in your frozen yogurt concoction, versus going to an ice cream shop, where everything is pre-made and you may be unsure of what’s in your dessert. You can choose exactly how much (or how little) of the amount of fro-yo you want to consume, and it generally comes in a cup instead of a cone, which is saving you calories.
5. Frozen yogurt generally has fewer calories. Fro-yo is generally made with milk, whereas ice cream is made from cream, which can be higher in sugar and in calories. Choosing frozen yogurt over ice cream is better for your health, and can help you stay on track when eating on a diet. Frozen yogurt can be a good motivation to go to a hard work out class and can be just enough of a “cheat” that you don’t consume something unhealthy like cookies, candy, or cake.
So the next time that you’re in the position to choose between getting ice cream or frozen yogurt, make sure to remember all of the health benefits that fro-yo has. The best thing about frozen yogurt is that it’s such a versatile dessert. You can make your fro-yo healthy, choosing to put fruits and nuts on your dessert, or you can also load it up with brownies and hot fudge sauce, when we’re in the mood for something extra sweet.